Wednesday, February 8, 2012

My "speech" at the board meeting...

So I wrote out my speech because I get a little nervous when speaking in public... and I decided to share most of it. I improvised while I was there, but it was all along the same lines...

Dear Members of the Board:

Many of you have seen me before fighting for my school and here I am again fighting for my school... Thank you for your time. I'd like to thank you for your time. I'd like to start by sharing a quote..."If you ignore your rights, they'll go away." My mom, just the other day, said to me, "You can't fight the government." I replied "Why not? I am fighting the government, for MY rights and my children's future rights."

Why should we just resign ourselves to accepting what our government decides for us. They aren't always right! And why shouldn't we fight back when we feel they chose wrong?" The Parent Empowerment Law, AKA The Parent Trigger Law, passed by ONE single vote... It was created by billionaires who then rushed to create organizations like Parent Revolution to enforce it. How did our school become a political playground for rich people who want to get richer?

I urge you, no beg you, to not allow them to use our school as a stepping stone for corporate takeover of our public education system. Currently, a group of parents are sending emails & letters, making phone calls and trying to create our own petition to send to the government, to try to put a pause, at the very least, on this law. ***Went on to state that it's too broad and needs to be looked at more carefully, etc*** We cannot be the example for what this law ends up being.

I know some of these parents that started and they have spent very little time in their own children's classroom.. Yes they spent a lot of time on campus, but not real time in the classroom. The only time that I know of that they went into classrooms was when Mr. Lewis created a group of parents to go into the classes to survey what was going on, but does five minutes here and there really tell you what is going on in a classroom? No, being in a class two or three times a day tells you what is going on... ***went on to talk about how I've been here since 2008 and have seen how little time they've actually spent in classes*** Some will say it's because they're not allowed to be on campus with younger children, but that didn't stop them before. It stops them from volunteering, but not from spending hours upon hours, days upon days, weeks upon weeks, do you get the picture yet?... on gathering signatures and planning how to take over the school? They can take their kids out at 10 o'clock at night to do this or are they able to find babysitters for THAT? Why weren't they spending all that time investing in their childs education?

Even with all my research and meetings with parents, I MAKE TIME EVERY DAY, to run the school yearbook department, volunteer in my childrens classes, eat dinner with my family, help my children with their homework, reading and projects. How will they find time to help their own kids, much less mine, when they will now have 100 more responsibilites? I can only imagine...

My point is... as much time as I've dedicated to the school, as much time as I have spent in classrooms, helping our children 1 on 1, I still don't think I can even begin to know how to run a classroom, much less a school.

What I want the board to know is the tactics they have used to intimidate and scare parents like... A statement from THEIR Parent Newsletter states: "It's also true that there are no removing signatures from the petition once it has been turned in"... from my understanding this is not true. From what I understand, if done correctly and following the correct legal procedures, they can be removed. So this would be a lie! **I think I left this out "I feel this is a scare tactic used to scare parents into NOT using their RIGHT to have their name removed. Since I am not a union member, I am not privvy to any information. I would like to know if they have printed a retraction in the same Newsletter form, sent to everyone as this was... I would like to share a few comments I have personally heard from parents at Desert Trails...***

People have been coming up to me asking me and telling me things like: How did they get my personal cell phone number? only the school has that number. THEY called me on it! How are they getting our personal information?!" I couldn't answer her. Maybe we should investigate THAT! Go on every computer, find out who was logging on where, who was printing what. What was being taken from our schools computers and who was doing it?!

Another parent told me his son was at home and a man kept going back and forth from the car to the door. His son was so scared that he called his dad, who rushed home, ran up to the door and asked him why he was stalking his house. He told him he needed to signs some papers and he told him he had already signed them. He told him there were more to sign. He told him not to come back again and a few days later someone else did. He told his wife to just deal with it and she signed just so they would stop coming back.

This is what they are doing to our familes... People are just signing so they would stop going to their houses. Other parents are fearful of retaliation or deportation being reminded by Desert Trails Parent Union and Parent Revolution has lawyers. ***Think I said something more about lawyers and money***

Many want to talk but are afraid. Please give these parents a voice! A group of parents have planned a meeting for Friday night. We would love for the Board to come hear these testimonies and many more. Please do not allow the fate of our school to be decided without hearing ALL SIDES. Thank You."

SO that was it.... after I spoke a few other parents who are helping me went up and spoke regarding the ski mask incident (one of the members of the steering committee showed up in a ski mask with his Parent Revolution shirt)... and Lori gave a good speech on how she feels... not GOOD... FREAKING AMAZING!! Loved it!!! We tried to sit through the rest of the meeting, but we had to get home and put our babies to bed.... Now I'm signing off because I have to get up in 6 hours to do some Carmen Electra "teach me how to strip" workout... LOL....

No comments:

Post a Comment